Will My Surveyor Check For Japanese Knotweed?

A surveyor will check for any problems in the house but will they check the garden? Will my surveyor check for Japanese knotweed?

Certified Surveyors

At different stages in your property’s development, you may have different surveyors visit your property. Japanese knotweed should be identified by a trained surveyor who has completed specialist training, such as the CSJK (Certificated Surveyor in Japanese Knotweed). Japanese knotweed can be easily misidentified or overlooked.

As part of your site survey, your surveyor should check the area surrounding your property for any signs or evidence of Japanese knotweed. This is completed via visual appraisal, to check for any signs of the plant.

Signs of the plant can include:

  • Active growth – the surveyor will be able to identify the plant by examining the leaves, the flowers and the stems.
  • Dead growth – if the plant has been treated, the growth may be dead or dying. The surveyor can ascertain this from both dying, living or dead stands.
  • Roots or rhizomes – if the growth is limited, the surveyor may examine the roots (commonly known as the rhizomes) – the root can be snapped and will have a distinctive orange or yellow appearance on the inside.

Surveyors Report

In terms of paperwork and documentation, once the surveyor has visited your property, they should issue a report which contains the location of the plant in relation to your property, a description of the plant, an outline of any development plans and previous control work and a risk assessment. If other invasive weeds are found on site, such as Himalayan Balsam, then the report should also confirm these. If you do not have Japanese knotweed, the surveyor should issue a report that confirms that.

What If It’s Not On My Report?

If you notice that there is no mention of invasive weeds on your surveyors report. Make sure to enquire with your surveyor if your garden has been checked, or if they are qualified in the identification of Japanese knotweed. If the answer is no, it would be suggested that you seek an additional report from a certified Japanese knotweed specialist.

Learn more about your legal rights regarding Japanese knotweed and buying a property here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *