How do I get rid of Japanese Knotweed from my site?

Japanese Knotweed Guidance for Estate Agents and other intermediaries

I’m a developer, how do I get rid of Japanese Knotweed from my land?

Whether you’re a homeowner or a developer, figuring out how to get rid of Japanese Knotweed in the most timely and cost-effective way can cause a real headache. However, we know that our clients who deal with commercial and industrial sites and properties are sometimes restricted by time and other regulations. As Japanese Knotweed can grow at a rate of 1.2 metre per month, early detection and eradication from experts is key to making sure your site is clear from Japanese Knotweed.

Japanese Knotweed Expert can offer commercial clients a survey to ensure that the Japanese Knotweed has not moved elsewhere and infected the whole site, giving you peace of mind to continue with your project.

To achieve this we can:

  • Help you put into place a Japanese Knotweed Management plan (KMP).
  • Carry out all necessary Risk Assessments.
  • Help everyone on site to identify Japanese Knotweed.
  • Identify all areas where the Japanese Knotweed is growing.
  • Fence the area off to stop further site contamination.
  • As the roots can spread up to 7m from the plant, it may be necessary to excavate inspection pits to see where they have extended to, then include this area in the fenced area.
  • Signs should be displayed to warn people of the infection.
  • Vehicles should not be permitted to pass through the area.
  • If vehicles have to pass through the area, however, then the tyres should be washed off before travelling to other areas.
  • If the contaminated soil is moved, the vehicles used in the transporting of it should be power-washed after use.
  • Any debris from the cleaned vehicles should be treated as contaminated waste.
  • We can provide a person who is responsible for the control of the Japanese Knotweed, often call a “clerk of works”.

For more information on how we can help you remove or treat the Japanese Knotweed on your site, please visit our Commercial Services page.


Back to FAQs