My Neighbour has Japanese Knotweed – What do I do?

My Neighbour has Japanese Knotweed – What do I do?

If you think your neighbour has Japanese knotweed and it is spreading to your garden, take a look at our step-by-step guide for tips on what to do.

The law on Japanese knotweed differs depending on whereabouts in the UK you live. This information applies to England, where we are based, Wales and Northern Ireland. For information for Scotland, please visit the Scottish Government’s website.Your Neighbour has Japanese Knotweed - What do you do?

If your neighbour has Japanese knotweed on their property, they are under no legal obligation to remove Japanese knotweed from their own property. However, if it starts to encroach upon your property they are causing a private nuisance and therefore are open to court action.

It is best to identify and treat Japanese knotweed as soon as possible as this not only leads to a faster resolution but is more cost effective. Most of the time your neighbour may not have identified the Japanese knotweed and therefore may not be aware of the trouble it can cause. If you think that your neighbour has Japanese knotweed you should alert them as soon as possible as it can cause serious damage to their property and the environment.

Do not take legal action until you have let them know about the issue, as they may not be aware. If they are reluctant, simply explain the damage it can do to their property and recommend they research it themselves. This should be enough to encourage them to take action.

If your neighbour has Japanese knotweed, it can quickly spread to your property!

Japanese knotweed is often described as being like an iceberg as the roots can spread for several metres underground, therefore the chances of it reaching your property from a neighbouring property are very high. If your neighbour chooses not to take action or there is no one living at the property, there are some steps you can take to get a resolution. If damage has already been done to your property your insurance company may be able to help and they may offer legal advice too. Failing this, a solicitor and an invasive weed specialist such as ourselves will be able to assist you in getting a solution. The final step would be a small claims court but ideally, it wouldn’t reach this stage.

If you need more advice on this issue, please call us, or refer to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Back to FAQs