Community Protection Notice from Home Office

New Home Office guidance now enables local councils and the police to issue Community Protection Notices against “individuals who are acting unreasonably and who persistently or continually act in a way that has a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality” which includes Japanese Knotweed and other invasive weeds.

This guidance is designed to protect property owners from infestation spread from adjoining land. It explains how Council officers and police can use community protection notices to ‘stop or prevent’ people allowing growth of Japanese Knotweed if it is causing problems. The public sector is not exempt from this guidance and local government and public sector land has the same obligations as private.

Individuals who ignore control orders will have committed a criminal offence and can be fined up to £2,500.00, organisations could be fined up to £20,000.00. This guidance aims to improve cooperation between local authorities, neighbours and land owners where boundary issues have been difficult to resolve. We recommend a treatment programme is put into place (Japanese Knotweed Management Plan) so that all parties can move forward.

The Home Office would recommend eradicating the Japanese Knotweed but by seeking advice from a professional and qualified company, like ourselves. DIY treatment is never recommended. Please click here to find out why. If you would like more advice about a neighbour’s Japanese Knotweed that is encroaching onto your land. Please Contact Us.